Passports - Call for an appointment - 218-283-1193

The Koochiching County Recorder’s office is a Passport Agent for the U.S. Department of State Passport Services. View passport information online. The National Passport Information Center can be contacted toll free at 877-487-2778.

If you need a Passport... 

  Plan ahead, be ready! 

Routine: 10-13 weeks*

Expedited: 7-9 weeks and an extra $60*

*Mailing times are not included in processing times. Processing times only include the time your application is at one of our passport agencies or centers. The total time to get your passport includes both processing and mailing times. It may take up to 2 weeks for applications to arrive by mail at a passport agency or center, and up to 2 weeks for you to receive a completed passport in the mail after we print it. Consider the total time it will take to receive your passport when you are booking travel

  • Check the expiration date

    if you already have a passport. Renew it within 6 months of the expiration date so you are ready when you need it!
  • New requirement from Passport Services when using form DS11:

      We now must submit a photocopy of your birth certificate with  the original (certified copy) of your birth certificate.  Please make sure to bring both with you when applying.  The certified copy will be returned but Passport Services will keep the photocopy.


Passport application forms are available at the Recorder’s Office or may be printed from the website above. 

Shaded area of appli

cations must be filled out in black ink (no white out) and signed before a passport agent after receiving an oath.


Expedite service is an additional $60 per application. You may also include $17.56 for overnight service from the Passport Agency.  

For faster service, please provide an overnight priority express envelope with postage paid to overnight your application from the Recorder’s Office to the Passport Agency.


Appointments with a passport agent are typically available Monday thru Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

 We cannot guarantee an agent will be available without an appointment.


Passport Resources

Pick up an application at the Recorder’s Office or visit the U.S. Passports and International Travel website to print one online. You may use the renewal application if you can answer “yes” to the following statements:
  • I can submit my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card with this application.
  • I use the same name as on my most recent US passport book and/or US passport card.
  • I was at least 16 years old when my most recent U.S. passport book and/or card was issued.
  • I was issued my most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card less than 15 years ago.
  • My most recent U.S. passport book and/or U.S. passport card that I am renewing has not been lost, stolen, mutilated, or damaged.
  • My U.S. passport has not been limited from the normal 10-year validity period due to passport damage/mutilation, multiple passport thefts/losses, or non-compliance with 22 CFR 51.41 (Please refer to the back pages of your US passport book for endorsement information.)
  • I have had my name changed by marriage or court order and can submit proper documentation to reflect my name change.
If you answered "no" to any of the statements above, you must apply with application DS-11.